February 2, 2017
6 Sh'vat 5777
Dear AJA Community,
Much of my focus since we started “talking” on Thursdays has been to Reimagine AJA and focus on the future and what is next. I embrace the concept of looking back at the past as needed, while keeping our eye on what is ahead...looking through the windshield vs. the rear view mirror, so to speak.
However...there are times that reflection is necessary and also inspiring! Don’t you agree? This is one of those times. As we hit the 100th day of school at AJA (and my 1st 100 days here!) it feels right to share some highlights of the 1st 100 days of school at AJA. There are too many to include here, so I compiled a Leubitz Top Ten:
- Streamlined parent and community communication. We instituted our weekly Tuesday Talks and Thursday Thoughts - what you need to know to stay in the AJA loop.
- We are proud of our students who have won many honors, including Science Fair awards, Literary contests, International STEM competitions, and more.
- We enjoyed school wide gatherings, bringing all ages together to celebrate the Chaggim. And the Ruach continues daily, strengthening the connection and pride in Judaism and AJA at the school and in the community.
- Our newly renovated Library Learning Center, which brought a hub of 21st Century Learning directly to AJA.
- Incredible new Upper School construction, which is on target for completion this summer.
- An accelerated enrollment process, which allowed us to predict enrollment with 90%+ accuracy, leading to a more accurate budget and (p.s.) a 96% retention rate!
- The continued quality and professionalism of our AJA teachers as witnessed every day at both campuses.
- The creation of a full calendar for the 2017-18 school year in January to allow families more time to plan ahead.
- Finally, we have a detailed analysis of our AJA finances and projections, so we can be more fiscally responsible in managing all areas of the school.
- What do YOU think is missing from this list...I'm all ears.
And, there are so many more. To see the whole list, fasten your seatbelts...and click here. It’s been a busy 100 days. Now, back to looking out of the front windshield!
Over the next few weeks, I’m going to share some very exciting updates and initiatives that we are working on for the remainder of the school year. And, in the interest of transparency, I will continue communicating my observations and even some of the obstacles we are facing. As you know, we sent out a parent survey to all current AJA families, and those results combined with learnings from the small group meetings (fireside chats) I’ve had with teachers and our observations during Wednesday Walks to the classrooms will help us formulate our plans moving forward.
Thanks for sharing your children with us. Here’s to an incredible rest of the school year.